Site Home

First Call: Our next San Diego Section ANS dinner meeting will be on Thursday, 4 September 2014.
Our program will be: International Perspectives on Nuclear Power by Dr. John Kelly ABSTRACT PRESENTATION LINK After President Eisenhower announced the Atoms for Peace initiative in December 1953, commercial nuclear power grew rapidly around the world. Today, nuclear power is the largest source of carbon free electricity and accounts for nearly 14% of all electricity production in the entire world and over 20% of electricity production in Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) countries. There are many reasons for the success of this first wave of nuclear power deployment as well as for the setbacks that stalled further deployment. The world is now poised for a second wave of nuclear power deployment. Interestingly, today's drivers are quite different from those of 60 years ago with concerns over carbon emissions being a key driver. Further, countries with established nuclear power programs are unlikely to lead the deployment of new nuclear power. In addition, countries such as China, which did not fully participate in the first wave, now have plans to catch up and potentially lead this resurgence of commercial nuclear power. Dr. Kelly's presentation will discuss the status of new nuclear construction both in the United States and internationally and provide some insights into the future of advanced nuclear power systems, such as Small Modular Reactors (SMRs) and Generation IV Reactors. He will discuss efforts to accelerate the commercialization of SMRs in the United States and convey the progress in the Generation IV International Forum to develop advanced reactor technologies globally. BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH Dr. John E. Kelly is the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Nuclear Reactor Technologies in the Office of Nuclear Energy. His office is responsible for civilian nuclear reactor research and development portfolio, which includes DOE's programs on Small Modular Reactors, LWR sustainability, and Generation IV reactors. His office is also responsible for the design, development, and production of radioisotope power systems, principally for NASA missions. In the international arena, Dr. Kelly chairs the Generation IV International Forum and the Standing Advisory Group on Nuclear Energy (SAGNE). Prior to joining the Department of Energy, Dr. Kelly spent 30 years at Sandia National Laboratories where he was engaged in a broad spectrum of research programs in nuclear reactor safety, advanced nuclear energy technology, and national security. Dr. Kelly received his B.S. in nuclear engineering from the University of Michigan in 1976 and his Ph.D. in nuclear engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1980. We will be at our usual venue: The Hunter Steakhouse 1221 Vista Way (intersection of I-5 and Highway 78) Oceanside, CA 92054-6452 (760) 433-2633 The restaurant offers 4 choices for dinner: (beef / salmon / chicken / vegetarian) Please indicate your choice in your RSVP The cost for members is - $28. Students get half price - $14. The cost for non-members is $38 and includes 2014 dues of $10, after which you are a member. Non-member students are $14 + $5 dues = $19. Dues are now $10 on a calendar year basis ($5 for students) and need to be renewed for 2014. Please RSVP by Sunday, August 24, 2014. Please bring cash or a check; we can't take credit cards. Reply via email to sandiegoans@yahoo.com The evening's scheduled events: No host reception 6:00 PM (aka happy hour) Dinner 6:45 PM Speaker 7:45 PM to 8:45 PM Q & A 8:45 PM to 9:00 PM Please RSVP to Sandiegoans@yahoo.com by Sunday, August 24, 2014. Best regards, Ken Schultz, Treasurer