Site Home
Dear SDS-ANS Members, One of our own, Jeremy Pearson, is organizing a screening of the "Switch Energy Project" at UC Irvine on Tuesday April 23. We are all invited to attend. Information is below and attached. Ken **************** Attachments: What is Switch? Event Poster Event Flyer **************** Forwarded Message: Hello Professors, Staff, and Students, We are organizing a screening of Switch Energy Project to be shown at UC Irvine during Earth Week, on Tuesday April 23rd, from 7 - 10 pm in EH 1200. Dr. Gregory Washington, Dean of the Samueli School of Engineering will be moderating a panel discussion after the screening (details below). For those not yet familiar with this film , it is a feature length energy documentary film, which aims to provide material useful for stimulating productive discussion on our nation and world's energy resource utilization. This film builds on previous documentaries which have established the need of confronting climate change and takes the next logical step of discussing a path forward on how we may use our available energy resources in a responsible way to reduce carbon emissions. Rather than promote a specific path, this documentary takes the audience on an educational in-person exploration of a variety of the world's leading energy industry sites from coal to hydroelectric, solar, oil, biofuels, wind and nuclear, etc., providing the audience, policy makers, and decision makers with the exposure, knowledge, tools and information to begin/continue discussions and make informed decisions. The objective of the panel discussion afterwards is to present to the audience (which will include students and residents of Irvine alike) the research that is being performed at UC Irvine in the individual areas discussed in the film. It will serve as a forum for students to know how to become involved in their areas of interest and an opportunity to highlight to the community the energy research being performed at UC Irvine. This panel could also be modified to include local industry or civil service community members if desired. Additional recommendations for the panel at this time are welcome, we have confirmed about 10 different panelists so far in the areas listed below. Panel presentations will be brief, 1-2 minutes to allow a diverse presentation of many activities at UCI. http://www.switchenergyproject.com/ We look forward to seeing you there. Please save the date of April 23rd at 7 pm for this event, which is sure to be a fruitful opportunity for our faculty, students, and community, Kind regards, Jeremy Pearson - Chemical Engineering GSA Ambassador to the Faculty Andrew Clark - Chemical Engineering Honors Society President Bogdan Rusu - American Institute of Chemical Engineers President Potential Panel Research thrusts at UCI: Hydro - Civil Eng or Mechanical Eng Wind - Mechanical and Aerospace Solar PV - UCI Center for Solar Energy, DOE Solar Decathlon competition at Irvine Great Park Solar Concentrating - Physiscs and Chemistry, optics Biofuels - Chemical Engineering and Biochemistry Bioinspired Electrical Devices - Sugar fuel cells, hybrid bio-inorganic devices for applications in clean energy Coal - Clean coal, Carbon sequestration Petroleum/US Oil Shale - Or related research if it exists at UC Irvine Natural Gas - Mechanical Engineering for natural gas fracking Geothermal - Mechanical Engineering for drilling Nuclear Fission - Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, and Physics Nuclear Fusion - Tri-alpha energy, any related research still performed at UCI Hydrogen - Generation and storage National Fuel Cell Research Center Fuel Cell -National Fuel Cell Research Center and Advanced Power and Energy Program Electric Vehicle and Batteries - Electrical Engineering Conservation - Water, electricity, hydrocarbons Atmosphere - Chemistry and Physics Environment and Climate Change - Environmental Institute Policy and Planning - Newkirk Center for Science and Society Wedge Concept - Ease out fossil fuel with an eye on socioeconomical impacts as well San Diego Section of the American Nuclear Society sandiegoans@yahoo.com See our website at http://sdans.altervista.org